You want a nice wig, and you’re thinking about buying it online. So, you open Google. You put in the search term “where to buy good wigs online,” and you get an endless list of suggestions.
Now, you need to know what to do to eliminate suggestions until you can find that right online wig company to get your next wig.
Not to worry.
Here’s our quick guide so you know what to look out for before you buy your new wig online.
What to know before you buy a wig?
1. Pick a trustworthy company
Easier said than done. But here are a few tips to help you narrow down your options.
- You can reach them easily (email and telephone number)
- They have a Return/Exchange Policy
- They invest in quality hair like 100% human virgin hair
- They have good reviews
- There are a variety of wig options
2. Know the difference between the types of hair
Before you buy a new wig, you should first understand what they’re made of.
There are two primary types of hair used – human hair and synthetic hair. The one you choose depends on your budget and preference. If you’re looking for a budget-friendly wig and won’t be too worried about how natural it looks, then synthetic hair is a good option.
If you want a more natural-looking wig that can last for years and which gives you flexibility in styling, then a human hair wig is the better option.
- Synthetic hair
This is the cheaper of the two hair types. Synthetic wigs are better at holding their style after washing. And you’d have to spring for the higher quality, heat-friendly synthetic wigs if you want to heat style it.
They also look less realistic than human hair wigs. The higher quality synthetic hair looks a lot more natural (unless you have a natural hair wig beside it to compare).
On average, good quality synthetic hair that is properly cared for can last for up to 4-6 months of regular wear, less if you use heat.
- Human hair
Human air looks more natural and acts much like our natural hair. As such, you tend to have to restyle your natural hair wig after washing. But she can be easily straightened, curled, and colored without issue. You’ll see a better shine, bounce, and movement with human hair. High-quality human hair, especially of the virgin type, can last for up to 3 years.
The main issue with human hair is that you must pay attention to proper maintenance. But it will be so worth it once you see the end results and how long you can maintain your human wig.
3. Choose Wig Type
Now that you’ve made your choice between synthetic and natural hair, it’s time to look at your wig type. Here are 6 types of wigs you can choose from.
13x6 Lace frontal wig
A lace front wig is a wig with a small, sheer lace panel measuring 13x6 inches attached to the front of the wig. The hair bundles are then sewn into the lace of the wig.
- You’re limited in parting space to the location of the lace.
- You have multiple options for side and center parts for your wig.
- At 6 inches back, you a full 2 more inches to go back with your part than traditional 13x4 lace front wigs.
- You look like you have a natural hairline.
- More affordable than a full lace wig
Full lace wig
In a full lace wig, the entire wig cap is made of sheer lace material.
- More expensive than other wig types
- More flexibility and versatility in styling
- Most natural looking wig due to the full lace cap and more styling options
- Breathable and light on your head
- Natural hairline
5x5 closure wig
A 5x5 closure wig means a wig with a lace piece in the front measure 5x5 inches.
- Smaller space or a natural hairline
- Best used If you’re making your own wig
- More affordable lace front closures
- More hairline space to work with than a 4x4 lace closure
- Can be paired with other, cheaper hair bundles for a decent wig
At 13x6 inches, the lace part of this wig covers the entire front part of your head and to the sides. It’s 13 inches from side to side, and 6 inches from forehead to back of the head.
- Limited to a t-part hairstyle
- A natural looking hairline, especially if you get a pre-bleached, pre-plucked t-part wig
- Affordable natural hairline wig
As the name suggests, a headband wig is a half hairpiece designed to be worn with a hairband.
- Half wigs so they’re not made to be worn on their own
As it says in the name, these wigs are made to be worn as a ponytail. Some sellers offer clip-in ponytails. But a true ponytail wig covers your full hair, and if they’re made like a Royalme wig, comes with lace along around your edges for a natural look front and back.
- Only designed for a ponytail style
- Affordable wig style
- Ponytail can be styled in multiple ways
- Can be worn as a bun
4. Choose the right cut and style
With so many wig cuts and styles to choose from when buying a wig online, you can get overwhelmed pretty quickly.
But consider how the shape of the cut and the style will flatter your features and face and buy based on that.
So, if you have an oval shaped face, then a bob cut is a good option.
If you’re uncomfortable with your forehead, or like styles that cover your forehead, then a wig with a bang is a great choice.
Do you like silky straight or coily or wavy hair? What about highlights?
Consider what you’ll be comfortable in and use that to also help you determine the style and cut that you’ll enjoy the most.
5. Get your correct wig cap size
Finally, make sure you choose the correct cap size. A wig cap is the foundation base material in your wig that will follow the shape of your head. To make sure that you get a wig that fits you, you need to measure properly.
Here’s how to do so:
- Get your hair as flat as possible. Cornrows and braids will work.
- Get a tape measure and measure the:
- Circumference of your head
- Front hairline from one side to the next
- Front of the head (forehead) to the base (nape of your neck)
- Ear to ear over the top of your head
- Temple to temple around the back of your head
Use these measurements to determine if you’re a small, medium, or large wig cap.
Caps come in these 3 sizes because you’ll have adjustable straps to make sure they fit firmly on your head. (Or at least they should, so make sure to check that the wig you’re buying does).
What is a good website to buy wigs?
Our extensive range of wig styles all come with everything you need when buying a quality wig online:
- 100% virgin human hair.
- Prebleached and pre-plucked hairline.
- Variety of wig types to choose.
Browse our range of wig styles to find your perfect fit today.